The manager of Pop's Palace Theatre, Theodore A. Gottry, wanted to promote the movies he was showing there, so he began printing a handbill with the schedule and had boys deliver them house to house.
The owner of a neighboring business asked if he could advertise his store; and a newspaper was born.
The Twin-Borough Shopper began in 1935 and grew slowly until Gottry stopped publication to go into defense work at Curtiss-Wright. Propeller.
To read the rest of the story, click here.