Didn’t work, did it? Let me try again.
The girl craned her neck around the door. She saw the killer walking toward her — a machete in one hand, a human head in the other.
Still not scared?
It’s getting harder and harder to throw a chill into people, but that does not mean it’s time to stop trying. With Halloween on the horizon, plenty of places in this area will give it a shot. We took a look at some popular area attractions.
IN THE NEIGHBORHOOD
Haunted Hill House
- WHAT: This year’s theme: Killer Karnivale. Proceeds benefit the Wood-Ridge Horror Soci … I mean … the Wood-Ridge Historical Society.
- WHERE: 495 Highland Ave., Wood-Ridge
- HOURS: 7:30 to 9 p.m. Oct. 28; 7 to 9 p.m. Oct. 29 and 30
- HOW MUCH: $5
- INFORMATION: iwontbeafraid.com
- WHAT: Not just a hayride, but a haunted hayride. From the website: “We liken the hayride to a good horror movie … Scary, gross and even funny at times!”
- WHERE: Depiero’s Country Farm, 300 W. Grand Ave., Montvale
- HOURS: 8 to 10 p.m. Friday to Sunday, Oct. 16, 23, 30 and 31; 8 p.m. to midnight Oct. 14 and 15; 8 p.m. to 1 a.m. Oct. 21, 22, 28 and 29
- HOW MUCH: $25 VIP; $15 adults; $12 children 12 and under
- INFORMATION: night-mares.com
IN NEW JERSEY
- WHAT: The monthlong festivities include a Monster Mash Bash, the Demented Forest and Escape from the Asylum. Parents with young children might want to leave before 6 p.m.
- WHERE: Six Flags Great Adventure, 1 Six Flags Blvd., Jackson
- HOURS: 5 to 11 p.m. Fridays (beginning this week); 10:30 a.m. to 11 p.m. Saturdays; 10:30 a.m. to 10 p.m. Sundays. The park will also be open from 10:30 a.m. to 8 p.m. on Columbus Day (Oct. 10) HOW MUCH: $59.99 plus tax (54 inches and over); $36.99 plus tax (under 54 inches, disabled visitors); free for ages 2 and under.
- INFORMATION: sixflags/greatadventure; 732-928-2000
- WHAT: Twenty-five costume-clad characters will chase you through more than 30 rooms at this Belleville landmark.
- WHERE: 229 Main St., Belleville
- HOURS: 7 p.m. to midnight Friday to Sunday, Oct. 13-16, 20-23 and 26-31
- HOW MUCH: $30 (VIP), $18 adults, $15 children 12 and under
- INFORMATION: statescare.com; 973-450-1070
IN NEW YORK
- WHAT: From the website: “No one under 18 admitted and you must walk through alone.” Huh. Is this a haunted house or a fraternity rush? More details: “Please be aware, you will encounter: fog, strobe lights, complete darkness, crawling, stairs, loud noises, physical contact, sexual and violent situations.” Yup. Definitely sounds like a fraternity rush.
- WHERE: 54 W. 39th St., Manhattan
- HOURS: 7 to 11 p.m. Mondays, Wednesdays and Thursdays; 7 p.m. to midnight Fridays; 5 to midnight Saturdays; 5 to 11 p.m. Sunday; closed Tuesdays HOW MUCH: $30
- INFORMATION: blackoutnyc.com
Forest of Fear
- WHAT: This Halloween, don’t miss the scariest place on Earth! We’ll see about that. This exhibit includes a coffin ride, a slaughterhouse and a cavalcade of the odd.
- WHERE: Sterling Forest, 600 Route 17A, Tuxedo, N.Y.
- HOURS: Nightfall to midnight Fridays; nightfall to 1 a.m. Saturdays; nightfall to 11 p.m. Sundays, to Oct. 30
- HOW MUCH: $20 Fridays and Saturdays; $18 Sundays
- INFORMATION: renfair.com
The Great Jack O’Lantern Blaze
- WHAT: Remember how long it took you to carve that pumpkin? Now try carving 3,999 more of them. Or just visit the Great Jack O’Lantern Blaze.
- WHERE: Van Cortlandt Manor, 525 S. Riverside, Croton-on-Hudson, N.Y.
- HOURS: Tickets are available at half-hour intervals this Friday to Monday and Oct. 14-16, 20-23, 27-31 and Nov. 4-6. Reservations are mandatory HOW MUCH: $16; children 5-17 $12; free for children 5 and under.
- Prices are $4 more on Saturdays
- INFORMATION: hudsonvalley.org