It began as a recession-fueled idea to get people into spas and fitness studios with a week of good deals. But in only its third year, Wellness Week has evolved into much more.
Wellness Week 2012 has a national spokeswoman – Mariel Hemingway – a pledge and a "Taste of Wellness" that includes restaurants offering their own special deals on healthy dishes.
"We realized there’s really an opportunity for creating what we’re calling a wellness movement or a prevention revolution," says SpaFinder Executive Vice President Sallie Fraenkel. "As the health-care crisis has become more and more obvious and written about, we realized the role we can play is in giving people good information about living the wellness lifestyle. A component of that is going to a spa and having a massage now and then, when you can. A component of that is certainly choosing to move, finding different fitness options that you’re going to enjoy and have fun [doing]. A component of that is how you eat."
The new pledge is purposefully doable, instead of daunting. Fraenkel says Hemingway is the personification of living the wellness life. The restaurants make the "wellness" well-rounded with a little healthy eating. And of course, spa treatments and classes at fitness studios remain the main draw.
Reservations for the Wellness Week deals can be made at spafinder.com/wellnessweek or by calling the participating spa or center directly. The restaurants participating in the "Taste of Wellness" can be found at spafinder.com/taste-of-wellness.
New businesses can be added every day, so the website will have the most up-to-date information.
Local deals for Wellness Week
ENIGMA HAIR STUDIO
• 225 Main Ave., Passaic, 973-859-0300; enigmashairstudio.com
• Sample offering: Signature facial, 60 minutes – $50 (regularly $65)
RIDGEWOOD EUROPEAN DAY SPA
• 44 Franklin Ave., Ridgewood, 201-447-1600; ridgewoodspa.com
• Sample offering: Customized aromatherapy massage and detox foot soak – $50 (regularly $85)
• Englewood Towne Center, 28 W. Palisade Ave., Englewood, 201-655-7300; massageenvy.com
• Sample offering: 50-minute Swedish or sports massage – $49 (regularly $98)
• 126 Engle St., Englewood, 201-567-3005; tambourineskincare.com
• Sample offering: Dead Sea salt body rub – $50 (regularly $90)
STRONG HANDS MASSAGE THERAPY
• 27 South Franklin Turnpike, Ramsey, 201-995-9900; strongmassages.com
• Sample offering: Massage/nutrient consultation – $50 (regularly $100)
EDGEWATER KUNG FU
• 725 River Road, Edgewater, 845-480-1587; edgewaterkungfu.com
• Sample offering: 48 Tai Chi Classes – $600 (regularly $1200)
PASSIONE DI ARTE SALON & SPA
• 11 Hillside Ave., Tenafly, 201-266-6872; passionediarte.net
• Sample offering: Organic spa pedicure – $30 (regularly $60)
The Wellness Week Pledge
By committing to achieve at least one of these activities each day of Wellness Week, I will make taking care of myself a priority. I pledge to:
• Change my breakfast. I will kick off my day with a healthy meal that includes foods like oatmeal, yogurt, fruit, seeds, nuts and whole-grain cereals and toast.
• Choose to move. I will walk more by taking the stairs instead of the elevator, parking farther from the store or taking a desk break to go for a five-minute stroll.
• Hydrate. I will drink a glass of water before breakfast, lunch or dinner.
• Connect with nature. I will walk outside, breathe more deeply and enjoy the outdoors for a few minutes each day.
• Make my sleep a priority. I will build boundaries around my sleep by sticking to a set bedtime, and by not eating or working in bed.
• Embrace the power of touch. I will recharge myself and others through the simple act of giving or receiving a hug, foot rub or five-minute massage.
• Give myself the gift of silence. I will find 10 minutes a day away from screens of any type – phone, TV or computer and enjoy the quiet.
The taste of wellness
The following Manhattan restaurants – including many owned by celebrity chef David Burke of Fort Lee – are offering special Wellness Week discounts on certain menu items:
• David Burke Townhouse, 212-813-2121, davidburketownhouse.com.
• Fishtail by David Burke, 212-754-1300, fishtaildb.com.
• David Burke Kitchen, 212-201-9119, davidburkekitchen.com.
• David Burke at Bloomingdale’s, 212-705-3800, burkeinthebox.com.
• Bouley, 212-964-2525, davidbouley.com.
• The Tea Set, 646-476-8731, the-tea-set.com
• Pizza Roma, 212-924-1970, pizzaromanewyork.com.