January is winding down. The new year isn't brand new anymore, and resolutions are likely waning. But there's still time to kick in that more positive mentality for 2012.
Ridgewood psychologist Ken Langlieb, along with Rose Fitzgerald, co-director of Yoga Synthesis in Ramsey, and holistic life coach Janette LaVigne, who consults with people in North Jersey and surrounding areas, helped compile a list of little things you can do each day to lift your spirits.
The final installment in our three-part feature takes you through the end of the month. Hopefully some of our ideas have resonated and been helpful, and can be carried on the rest of the year.
* Read something uplifting.
* Skip the news for one night, or get the news from a newspaper or online instead of watching it on TV. It is less stressful and stimulating.
* Let yourself stop, get bored even, and take in the little things around you.
* Focus on enjoying every activity – look for something in the walk, the taste of the food or the company.
* Use social support. Make a plan to see a friend, call someone to help meet a goal or keep that resolution.
* Find the good in a seemingly bad situation. Staying positive can make all the difference. If you can't find the good, find the neutral.
* Be aware and stop yourself in a judgmental thought about yourself or others, and try to be more accepting.
* Smile – even if you don't feel like smiling, just going through the motions can help.